Fair, James G.

Co-owner of the Comstock Lode, California real estate & railroad speculator, banker, Nevada US Senator

Price: $75.00 Special Offer - $65.00



Description:
(1831-1894) "Slippery Jim”, Irish-born overnight millionaire part owner of the Comstock Lode, Nevada US Senator, colorful real estate and railroad speculator. To US in 1843, to California in 1850, where he prospected the Feather River country for gold embedded in quartz rather than pan for placer gold. His attention shifted to Nevada, where he operated a mill on the Washoe River and landed various mine superintendent positions in Angels and other places in the Mother Lode region. He became superintendent of the Hale and Norcross mine in Virginia City, Nevada in 1867. He formed a partnership with 3 fellow Irishmen, John William Mackay, and San Francisco saloon owners James C. Flood, and William S. O'Brien. The company was popularly known as the "Bonanza firm". The four made large fortunes in shares in silver mines working the Comstock Lode, struck in 1859, the 1st major silver discovery in the US, producing over $500M in 20 years. He invested much of his income from the Comstock in railroads and San Francisco real estate. Fair & Mackay owned the Nevada Bank of San Francisco, the rival to William Chapman Ralston's Bank of California; after the collapse of Ralston's financial empire, the Nevada Bank was for a time the largest bank in America at the height of the silver boom. In 1876 he conceived the plan of extending his narrow-gauge South Pacific Coast Railroad down the east side of San Francisco Bay, through San Jose and Los Gatos and southward through a mountain route that entailed a 6,200’, a 5,000’, and 6 shorter tunnels. After his death, the Southern Pacific took over his line and converted it to standard gauge. Fair was elected by the Nevada legislature to the US Senate in 1881, where he promoted silver issues in the Senate when a movement was afoot to demonetize silver. He was defeated for reelection in 1886 and moved back to San Francisco. The Fairmont San Francisco hotel was built and named after Fair as ga rand monument by his daughters, Theresa Fair Oelrichs and Virginia Fair Vanderbilt who built the hotel. Construction began in 1902, but they sold their interests days before the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. Signed 2 ˝ x 4 card

Condition: Very good
Type:Signed Card






[View Shopping Cart]
[Home] [Articles] [Biography] [Calendar]
[Catalogue] [Search]



enbainc@cs.com

Edward N. Bomsey Autographs, Inc.
7317 Farr Street
Annandale, VA 22003-2516
(703) 642-2040(phone & fax)




Home
Home

Articles
Articles

Biography
Biography

Calendar
Calendar

Catalogue
Catalogue

Search
Search